UG Geotechnical Engineer, Integrated Mine Planning
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Join our global leading business offering outstanding personal development & global career opportunities
- Permanent employment which includes a huge range of additional benefits
- Located at the Diavik Mine Site, NWT
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for an Underground Geotechnical Engineer responsible for assisting with safe underground mining through sound geotechnical practice. This is a great opportunity for an individual with a good understanding of underground geotechnical engineering to assist in planning and engineering functions.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible. Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
Reporting to the Senior UG Geotech, located at the Lac de Gras Mine Site, you will be working 12 hours per shift on a 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off rotational schedule. You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring safe and stable underground excavations in rock through proper rock mechanics design and monitoring.
- Maintain quality control programs for backfill and ground support (including shotcrete).
- Maintain a geotechnical program to ensure instrumentation and systems are relevant, functional, and properly maintained.
- Conduct regular inspections of underground excavations and other critical infrastructure.
- Provide basic ground control training as required.
- Be available to provide knowledge and service as required to resolve issues or address concerns related to geotechnical engineering.
What you'll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Geological or Mining Engineering degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Registered or ability to be registered with NAPEG
- Underground geotechnical engineering experience
- 5+ years preferred
- Experience in Sublevel Retreat/Sublevel Caving and Open Stoping with Cemented Rockfill is preferred
- Experience working with Vulcan mine planning software would be an asset
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive compensation
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium - the world's first to be certified 'responsible' - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you'll be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Applications close on June 27th, 2022 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)