Mission for this Position About Us
At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world's most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Reporting to the Mobile Maintenance Superintendent, the Mobile Maintenance Welding Supervisor will ensure safe execution of all tasks are performed by providing strong direction and guidance to all Mobile Maintenance Department execution teams and business support contractors. An expert organizing planned and unplanned maintenance activities, this position will ensure accurate equipment health reporting and quality task execution is achieved while driving continuous improvement and value generating initiatives. Main Accountabilities
- Perform safety interactions and review field level risk assessments with all employees before task
commencement. Lead Job Hazard Analysis when required to ensure risks are identified and controlled.
- Carry out daily safety tool box talks, periodic safety meetings, routine and statutory safety inspections,
root cause analysis and planned task observations as required.
- Participate in the development, implementation and adherence to safe work procedures/instructions and
promote safety, health and environmental awareness and compliance. Perform QA/QC assessments to
identify gaps and implement control measures for correction of all deviations to procedures and standards
and ensure/verify sustainability of corrections.
- Monitor and ensure all employee's competency for assigned tasks, ensuring they are following the
appropriate procedures/instructions/manuals, and are performed without incident, in an environmentally
- Investigate task non‐conformances/compliances thoroughly and administer corrective actions up to and
including disciplinary action when required, in conjunction with management.
- Report, track and approve employee and contractor hours and maintain records hours worked under the
- Use SAP software system effectively to properly document work performed, order parts, check inventory
and monitor equipment history.
- Monitor all Maintenance equipment and infrastructure condition and ensure preventative maintenance is
performed properly. Advise and act on areas requiring improvement, repair, or correction while ensuring
compliance to all applicable standards.
- Ensure compliance to planned mobile equipment preventive maintenance schedules. Manage equipment
backlog and track all work performed by employees and contractors under your direction to properly
document task completion.
- Perform pre PM/intervention inspections of equipment being repaired and perform pre release inspections
on equipment with completed interventions to ensure safe and reliable operating condition. Ensure all
safety and fire prevention systems on all equipment are operating correctly at all times and are operating
- Communicate with the maintenance planners on task progression, parts requirements, task duration, input
schedule information and provide accurate equipment task information. Assist in preparing scopes and
monitoring performance to plan. Ensure plan deviations or deficiencies are communicated to the planners
including specifics pertaining to the causes. Advise and implement corrective measures to achieve desired
- Ensure urgent breakdown repairs are attended to adequately in the shop or field, in a timely manner by
employees or contractors under supervisor direction. Verify required parts and place orders and
communicate breakdowns to the team.
- Actively promote and cooperate between maintenance, contractors and all other departments in the
- Identify opportunities for the continuous improvement of maintenance processes and systems. Action
improvements directly under Supervisor control.
- Complete reports and perform record keeping as required, ensuring accuracy of reported data.
- Communicate effectively internally within the department as well as with all other sections and
- Monitor and report on equipment KPIs, perform quality control inspections on assigned tasks, implement
continuous improvement of work being performed and make to reduce deficiencies.
- Supervisors work shift work to cover continuous operations. Shifts can be Days/Afternoons or Nights.
- Supervisor must ensure effective communication with all other supervisors, especially during shift and
- 10 or more years of mobile maintenance experience with a minimum of 3 or more years performing a Mobile
- Maintenance Supervisory role in an open pit mining environment.
- Post‐ Secondary education (College or University) along with a minimum of an interprovincial Red Seal
Certification of Competency in a relevant field for equipment maintenance.
- Previous experience working in a remote Arctic operation with camp accommodations.
- SAP maintenance systems expertise and efficiency.
- Previous experience working with employees of all competency levels including developing individuals with
minimal experience at apprenticeship levels performing maintenance in a mining environment in a remote
- Experience mentoring, providing solid direction and safety leadership to all employees and contractors
under their direction in harsh arctic field environments and in the workshops.
- Welding and fabrication experience required with an emphasis on equipment, structural and ground
engaging tool maintenance best practices and procedure development and compliance.
- Valid Nunavut WSCC Supervisor and First Aid Certificates
- Extensive experience performing and supervising maintenance being performed on the following
o Atlas Copco PV271 & D65 drills
o Cat 6030 face shovel
o Cat MD6290 drills
o Cat 793F and 777G trucks
o Cat 14H/14M/16H/16M Motorgraders
o Cat D6/D9T/D10T Trach Type tractors
o Cat 390D/320D/345D Excavators
o Cat 994K/992K/988H/950/930 Wheel loaders
o Cat 740B Articulated trucks
o Sandvik DX800 drills
o Lube trucks, Skidsteers, Telehandlers, Forklifts, Cranes and other ancillary equipment
o Terex/Grove Cranes of various models
o Western Star 6900XD Tractors with B‐Train trailers, Kenworth Tractor
- Valid Canadian Driver's license to operate vehicles in Nunavut
- Valid Red Seal Trade Certification in a relevant trade