Mission for this Position
At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world's most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Reporting to the Superintendent, Human Resources & Labour Relations, the Human Resources & Labour Relations Advisor (HR/LR Advisor) provides HR and Labour Relations support to both the Milne Inlet and Mary River sites. This role is responsible for overseeing the employee and labour relations activities for bargaining unit employees throughout the Company, which will include, ensuring that both Baffinland employees as well as site contractors understand and adhere to the Partnership Agreement, Baffinland Policies, the Inuit Impact Benefit Agreement (IIBA), and all project certificate requirements. The role will provide direct support to the site leaders and employees on a range of HR and Labour Relations matters including leadership development, performance management, corrective actions, training and ensuring that the IIBA and Union agreement is understood and adhered to.
This position assist in fostering and maintaining harmonious employee and labour relations while providing direct support to employees in all facets of HR and Labour Relations activities in order to build and maintain positive, culturally aware and harmonious workplace relations. Main Accountabilities
- Provide day-to-day advice, direction and counsel to leadership with respect to interpretation and application of the partnership agreement and on various employee Labour relations issues while ensuring alignment with IIBA requirements and initiatives.
- Support field operations on day-to-day labour and employee relations issues.
- Provide consultation and advice to on employee relations matters.
- Ensure compliance with provincial and federal laws and regulations relating to labour relations, employment standards, human rights and privacy legislation.
- Be an active listener and openly listen and respond to employee and manager questions, issues or concerns and recommend appropriate actions to address them.
- Investigate and resolve complex and sensitive employee relations issues.
- Collect, analyze, evaluate relevant facts and provide guidance and advice on issues respecting employee relations, best practices and trends, collective agreements, disciplinary matters, grievance and arbitration matters, and applicable Labour legislation and regulation.
- Write recommendations and reports pertaining to employee and Labour relations issues.
- Conducting investigations and writing reports and recommendations
- Participate in building strong union/management relationships, including promoting a progressive labour relations framework.
- Support field operations with labour force (i.e. workforce request, transfers, promotions, terminations…etc.).
- Provide coaching, training and mentoring leadership within the organization to leadership to effectively resolve their own human resources issues.
- Develop and implement LR projects including employee engagement, coaching, leadership development, etc.
- In conjunction with other HR/LR team members, participate in various committee meetings and take an active role on the committee's as required (i.e. field labour management committee, respectful workplace committee, camp and travel committee…etc.).
- Support the HR/LR Assistant in completing weekly and monthly workforce reports.
- Assist with the development, training and education of the performance management system and employee development program.
- Develop and deliver training on employee relations management issues.
- Provide recommendations and input to Human Resources initiatives and programs related to recruiting, union/management and employee/management relations and communication.
- Assist with collective bargaining; this includes preparation, research and attending negotiations for all collective bargaining throughout the Company.
- Ad hoc reporting and other duties, as required and assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management or Industrial Relations or a related field preferred
- A minimum of 5 years' experience working in a generalist role
- Proficient with MS Office (Required)
- Familiarity with SAP and Payroll Systems (ADP)
- Committed to service and excellence
- Proven management and leadership skills, with the ability to build consensus, rally support around common goals, and to motivate groups and individuals
- Ability to successfully communicate strategies and plans with all levels of the organization
- Ability to work effectively in multicultural environments
- Experience in the mining industry or industrial/construction workplaces is considered an asset
- Maturity, sound judgement, diplomacy and the ability to liaise confidently, effectively and positively with internal and external stakeholders
- Must demonstrate the ability to effectively prioritize and work under tight deadlines on multiple initiatives
Resourcefulness and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong team building, organizational and project management skills
- Ability to serve as a knowledgeable and trusted resource to senior management
- Strong ability to effectively communicate in English (Oral and written)
- Adaptable, willing to learn, self-motivated and fair
- Experience with far north cold climate environments is an asset