Closing Date: August 21, 2022
The Trail Operations smelting and refining complex is an integrated smelting and refining operation that produces zinc, lead, silver, cadmium, indium, fertilizers, sulphuric acid and other products. The diversity of the operations offers many challenging technical opportunities to engineers.
Engineering graduates are assigned to an Engineer-in-Training Development Program designed to provide a staged progression of learning and development opportunities leading to the position of Maintenance Engineer. The program addresses the needed competencies, skills and abilities for the EIT to be successful in their job.
Successful applicants can expect EIT assignments which will familiarize them with the operating requirements and process equipment in various plants. With increased experience and a demonstrated capability based on performance evaluation, opportunities are available to move into more senior technical positions or supervisory/managerial roles.Responsibilities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Supports the business area 5 & 20-year major maintenance and capital project portfolio through the definition of project risk, scope, cost and execution duration estimates, and recommended execution timeframe
- Builds scopes of work for major maintenance and capital projects with sufficient detail for budgeting
- Manages design changes to equipment stemming from approved actions identified through failure investigations or assessments of chronic equipment identified in Trail’s Bad Actor process
- Engages engineering consultants to provide equipment design, scope development, project studies or other engineering tasks
- Conducts equipment inspections and creates corrective actions for repair
- Supports the equipment Management of Change (MOC) process for modifications to equipment design
- Provides scope of work when area maintenance department requires technical expertise beyond the skills of supervisor, trade, or planner roles
- Supports the procurement process for non-standard or specialty parts
- May be required to perform other duties
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with a specialization in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Eligible for, or working towards, registration with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia (EGBC)
- Previous co-op or work experience in a similar industry is an asset
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to manage numerous work assignments simultaneously
- Comfortable working in a dynamic industrial work environment with a range of engineering, technical, trades and operational personnel
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with a capability to communicate complex ideas
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams)
- Willingness to participate in day-to-day troubleshooting and problem solving in an operating plant.
- Effectively applies and develops technical knowledge to address business issues
- Demonstrated ability to gather and analyze data to identify key trends and determine root cause
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2020, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eleventh straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResourcesJob Segment:
Coal Mining, Sustainability, Mechanical Engineer, Social Media, Mining, Energy, Engineering, Marketing