- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Expand and develop your technical expertise in our newly modernized aluminum smelter
- Permanent, full-time role, based in Kitimat, BC. Relocation package provided.
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Process Engineer, to join the Processing Technical Team at our modernized aluminum smelter, in Kitimat, BC. If you are a technical person with passion for metals and materials processing, this could be a role for you!
This role is a great opportunity for a curious individual to increase their technical capability in a unique operational environment.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining. We have technical development programs that are industry-leading and recognize the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills.
Reporting to the Process Technical Coordinator and working a Monday to Friday schedule, you will be:
- Working safely in accordance with Rio Tinto safety standards - actively leading, and engaging in safety initiatives promoting our 'Zero harm' safety culture
- Monitoring and reporting on process performance, identifying, and correcting process deviations and driving process improvements
- Leading and/or supporting projects to improve safety, process and cost performance ensuring maximum value delivery to the organization
- Supporting operations in day-to-day problem solving and ensuring the impact on process stability is considered in all decision making
- Supporting operations personnel in the development and maintenance of their technical expertise, including training, and coaching where required
- Interacting with our global network of technical experts to bring additional expertise to bear when required and to drive plant performance
- Providing occasional stand-by technical support during weekends
- Acting as a credible technical resource to supervisors and technicians in own sector
- Influencing peers and leaders by providing solid input in projects and daily activities
Note: No Fly-in-fly-out arrangements offered. Relocation assistance is provided.
What you'll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as Process Control, Mineral Processing, Chemical Engineering, Metallurgy, or related field
- Ability to register with APEGBC as an EIT or P. Eng.
- Aptitude for problem-solving and data analysis
- Collaborative attitude and strong communication skills - ability to communicate complex technical information simply and succinctly
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Previous experience in the heavy industrial and/or aluminium smelting industry
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma methodology
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical programs, pension and savings plans
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts
- Domestic relocation assistance
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium - the world's first to be certified 'responsible' - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you'll be working
Rio Tinto's BC Works is a part of the Atlantic Operations of the Aluminium product group and has been operating in British Columbia for over 65 years. With industry leading new technology and four generations of employee expertise, as well as our hydropower facility at Kemano and the Nechako Reservoir, the Kitimat smelter is one of the world's most competitive aluminium smelters, producing aluminium with one of the lowest carbon footprints in the industry.
Rio Tinto is proud to operate in BC alongside our 1,000 employees, partners, community stakeholders and First Nations, and we look forward to the next 60 years.
To learn more about our Aluminium Operations, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=CTp1jkRKeBI
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Applications close: August 28, 2022
(Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)