Started in Australia in 1933, Thiess is a more than 85-year-old, enduring company. Today, we're a $4 billion world-class, global organization, specializing in sustainable resources solutions, including mining services, land reclamation, and engineering and technology consulting. With 12,000 employees and growing, our workforce has the skills, experience, and resourcefulness to realize opportunities, respond to project challenges, optimize solutions and bring lasting value to our clients.
We're currently embarking on an exciting journey to a more sustainable future, as we rise to the challenges of climate risk and opportunities abounding in the global energy transition. We recognize the world needs mined commodities to achieve the economic, social and environmental transformation it desires. But, the world also needs mining to reset for the future.
North America is an important part of that future, and we're thrilled to introduce our business, and our unique approach to contract mining, to Salt Lake City and the surrounding Intermountain West region.
About the role
As a Graduate Mining Engineer, you will assist operational mining teams in generating short and medium term mine plans and designs and schedules for the operation to ensure business targets are achieved. This role may be either at the mine site or in our headquarters location in Salt Lake City. It is anticipated to start in the Spring of 2023.
Salary: $70,200 - $85,800 USD
In this role, you will:
- When required provide daily advice to production personnel on the required direction of mining and dumping to achieve scheduled sequences and targets.
- Assist engineering team in discussions, gather consensus and discussing short term planning issues.
- Assist engineering team in cultivating a working relationship with production.
- Coordinate with other departments for daily planning.
- Assist in producing consistent, achievable daily / weekly plans
- Develop alternative suggestions/plans as required to cope with the day-to-day changes that occur in the pit.
- Set and monitor KPI's to achieve forecasted targets and develop specific improvement plans
- Represent the companies interests in planning meetings with Client engineering teams
- Develop and perform data management processes as needed to ensure accurate tracking of material and equipment
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Competence in Mine Planning Software (Vulcan), Deswik, Spry, and Talpac-3D
- Proficient in MS Office Suite of programs, particularly MS Excel
- Good standard of oral and written communication
- Sound presentation skills and use of MS PowerPoint
- Basic GPS survey techniques
- Analytical skills
- Must have graduated with a bachelor's or master's degree (master's preferred) in mine engineering or related field in the spring of 2023
- Previous working experience in a mining environment preferred
- Authorization to work lawfully in USA without sponsorship from Thiess is required
- Must be fluent in the English language
What we offer
- This is a full-time, long-term role
- This role may be either at the mine site or in our headquarters location in Salt Lake City
- If on-site, travel arrangements and expenses will be covered by Thiess
- This role is anticipated to start in the Spring of 2023
Driving a diverse, inclusive and respectful culture
- A work culture that follows our company values of integrity, accountability, and innovation, all underpinned by safety
- A permanent position working directly for Thiess, the world's largest mining services provider
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual bonuses
- Comprehensive medical benefits including private health insurance with 100% premium coverage for the employees and competitively subsidized private health insurance for immediate family
- 401K retirement savings benefit with employer matching contributions
- Career development and opportunities domestic withing the US, and potentially international
- Leave for all of life's reasons
- Possible domestic relocation assistance
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Thiess is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at +1 (801) 300-1909.
How to apply
This role is an opportunity to take the next step in your career. With our culture of recognition, development, and a stimulating and satisfying work environment, there is no better time to join Thiess.
To apply for this role, please click the 'Apply' button or the link below.