Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities, and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our open-pit mine and concentrator in Voisey’s Bay - Vale’s only fly-in/fly-out operation in Canada - produces nickel-cobalt-copper concentrate and copper concentrate. An underground expansion will see a transition to a leading-edge underground mine by the end of 2020 extending the life of the mine until 2034. Our state-of the-art facility in Long Harbour is the first nickel processing plant in the world to use hydrometallurgy technology to produce Plating Rounds from hard rock (sulphide) concentrate, with low carbon footprint compared to traditional smelter technology. Our offices in St. John’s and Goose Bay provide support to the Newfoundland and Labrador Operations.The Opportunity
We are currently seeking a MAINTENANCE SUPERINTENDENT
to join our Maintenance Team at our remote mine site in Voisey’s Bay, Labrador. This is a permanent position based at the Voisey’s Bay mine site in Labrador, a fly-in fly out operation. This position is on a one week on, one week off rotation
The Maintenance Superintendent directs and supervises the activities of the Maintenance group and is mainly responsible for the activities of the group – including recruitment, planning, and maintenance expenditures. They also lead maintenance activities with other groups and departments to ensure needs are being met in a timely manner. The department is responsible for the maintenance of all fixed plant and surface and underground mobile equipment at the mine site.In this position, you will:
- Manage and prepare the Mine Maintenance Annual Budget;\t
- Assure maintenance is performed to assure mine production targets are met; \t
- Handle fixed/mobile equipment maintenance contracts with vendors;\t
- Evaluate and recommend equipment repair and/or replacement;\t
- Support, implement, and communicate Safe Operations, company policies and procedures;\t
- Provide direct supervision to mine maintenance supervisors, planners and coordinators;\t
- Develop and implement strategies for controlling, optimizing, and improving the efficiency of the maintenance functions;\t
- Evaluate equipment performance and use the knowledge to develop and improve maintenance strategies;\t
- Establish processes to collect and analyze data on fixed/mobile equipment to improve performance;\t
- Manage training program to keep all mechanical maintenance personnel up-to-date in technical upgrades and/or improvements to the maintenance techniques;\t
- Promote effective working relationships with all departments to improve the performance of the core business;\t
- Work closely with the Mine Operations Superintendent and their teams to ensure that analytical results meet their business requirements in terms of timing and accuracy and reproduce the results.
- Post-secondary undergraduate degree in Engineering, diploma in engineering technology or relevant trade, and/or journeyperson red seal in a relevant trade.\t
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience, combined as a trade’s person and in a leadership role. \t\t
- Previous experience in a fly in/fly out environment is considered an asset.\t
\tWhat We Offer
- Excellent knowledge of open pit and underground mining is considered an asset. \t
- Solid budgeting abilities.\t
- Knowledge of and experience with maintenance strategies.\t
- General knowledge of warehousing and procurement.\t
- Able to work in a multi-cultural workforce.\t
- Strong digital literacy with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and SAP.\t
- Familiarity with working in a unionized environment.
- Competitive Salary and Site Premiums.\t
- Opportunity to earn an annual Employee Bonus.\t
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans, and optional insurances).
\t Difference Makes All the Difference
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental).\t
- Chartered flights within the province.\t
- 24/7 access to a fully stocked cafeteria with balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.\t
- Access to recreational facilities and social activities (cardio/weight room, gymnasium, music room, movie theatre, etc.).\t
- Accommodations are equipped with cable TV, unlimited long-distance calling, and high-speed internet capacity.\t
- All Personal Protective Equipment is provided upon hire. Employees are given a safety boot allowance and receive a 100% reimbursement for prescription safety glasses.\t
- Exposure to advanced mining technology and state of the art mechanized underground equipment.\t
- Employee Family Assistance Program.\t
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.\t
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader.\t
- Online training and career development opportunities.
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and Vale values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application online at https://vale.eightfold.ai/careers . Innu Nation members and Nunatsiavut beneficiaries can also submit their application to their Vale Aboriginal Employment Coordinator.
Deadline to Apply: Thursday, October 6 th , 2022.