Principal Advisor - Mine Ventilation and Refrigeration
- Great opportunity to join a global mining organization
- Outstanding personal development & career opportunities
- Competitive salary and benefits - Phoenix, Arizona
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Principal Ventilation and Refrigeration Engineer for Resolution Copper Project. This multi-billion dollar project is currently in the Feasibility Study (FS) phase. The project comprises the establishment of the underground mine, ore concentrator, tailings storage facilities and all other process and off-site infrastructure.
Part of the Project scope on critical path is planned to commence execution in late 2022 by starting the Underground Characterization and Mine Access programs. These two scopes jointly incorporate the upgrade of the No. 9 and No. 10 shafts, creating a mine access level at 5,800 ft. below the collar and develop twin (9,000 ft.) exploration drifts in order to complete various tests feeding data into the Life of Mine FS.
Using your knowledge and experience in ventilation and refrigeration engineering in an underground mining operation / project, you will solve complex technical problems within a multidisciplinary project execution team, interface with different internal and external stakeholders, oversee the development of engineering design and execution, while maintaining a strong focus on quality management and ensure that the design meets the company functional requirements, corporate, state and federal standards. You will foster an equal opportunity, collaborative, safety and efficiency focused culture at the workplace, coach and train staff.
This role is a great opportunity to join a world class multi-disciplinary engineering and project team in charge of project and study execution. Support and coordinate discipline engineering to enable the delivery of feasibility level engineering designs, detailed engineering, contribute to project execution planning and interfacing with internal and external stake holders, both engineering and execution support of the project scopes in construction.
Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager, you will be:
- Supporting engineering, review and evaluate progress reporting, and troubleshooting. This includes engineering to enable procurement support for delivery of the plan. Take ownership of procurement packages and scopes of work forming the basis of contracts.
- Reviewing and accepting ventilation and refrigeration equipment related engineering work, construction proposals and methodologies.
- Undertaking analysis and optimization of mechanical ventilation and refrigeration systems' contractor proposal, evaluation and recommendation for acceptance.
- Work with ESP's subject matter experts in ventilation model reviews in the design stage.
- Take over and maintain ventilation and heat balance models in the operation stage. Conduct vent surveys during operation, update the model and recommend system operating settings changes to achieve desired ventilation and refrigeration parameters.
- Managing the construction planning aspects, progress review and liaising with ESPs in execution phases of project.
- Interpreting internal or external project delivery issues to recommend courses of action designed to eliminate potential execution problems and to improve construction efficiency and control construction costs.
- Implement and assure project quality objectives, commissioning processes and systems.
- Consider and recommend technologies to be deployed to enhance system performance productivity, and Life of Mine planning activities.
- Prepare business cases, assess trade-offs and make recommendations, document findings in support of project studies.
- Contributes to successful project completion by participating hands-on in the resolution of issues such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of standard materials, and complex coordination requirements.
- Maintaining relationships with stakeholders to support a culture of inclusion and collaboration, participation and improvement and addresses issues with impact beyond own team based on knowledge of related disciplines.
- Actively participate and demonstrate leadership for a strong safety culture, based project and study execution.
What you'll bring
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- College/University Education: University degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant BS degree.
- 10 - 15 years of underground ventilation and refrigeration design / operation environment.
- Broad understanding of project management, engineering management, multi-discipline engineering practices, and construction practices.
- Interface with RT Studies, Operations and Maintenance staff on site, ESPs, contractors and fulfill statutory reporting obligations.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office tools, 3D design focused CAD software (e.g., AutoCAD, VUMA, Ventsim, finite element modeling tools, AvevaNet, InEight document control, etc.) understanding of development schedule and cost control tools and reporting, good communication and collaboration with a multinational project execution team.
- Exposure to and understanding of the Lean in Construction principle.
- Demonstrated strong HSE focused work practices.
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Licenses/Certifications: Project management certification or advanced engineering and/or project management training is highly valued.
- Experience in underground mining ventilation and refrigeration design and construction
What we offer
We are committed to providing our employees with a generous benefits package. Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking, your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress, we provide:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- Advantageous salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Access to top-tier family-friendly health programs including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life insurance coverage, and various voluntary benefits.
- Excellent retirement plan including up to 6% defined company contribution; Generous 401k matching program
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program, which allows you to purchase Rio Tinto Company shares.
- Comprehensive leave policies which cover all moments that matter in life: PTO (paid time off), paid holidays, and paid bereavement leave.
- A favorable child-caregiver leave program (Up to 100% salary top-up)
- Discount programs for leisure purposes and access to Virgin Pulse with incentives supporting your wellbeing
- Ongoing Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your family; to help in addressing educational opportunities, addiction treatment, depression, stress, domestic issues, financial management, and legal concerns.
- Our team and industry experts are here to support and work with you to explore your learning potential and career goals
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminum - the world's first to be certified 'responsible' - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities, and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you'll be working
The Resolution Copper project is a proposed underground mine 60 miles east of Phoenix, Arizona, near the town of Superior. The project is a joint venture owned by Rio Tinto (55%) and BHP (45%). The ore deposit lies nearly 7,000 feet below the earth's surface. It represents one of the most significant untapped copper deposits today, with an estimated copper resource of 1.787 billion metric tonnes at an average grade of 1.5% copper. The mine has the potential to supply nearly 25% of US copper demand.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we value diversity and inclusiveness at our workplaces. We welcome applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit http://www.uscis.gov/ for more information.