Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont ( www.newmont.com ) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What you will be responsible for?
Technical Services provides global support to Newmont and its operating businesses across a range of specialized technical functions. Within Technical Services, the Operational Technology and Business Improvement (OT&BI) function enables value delivery in alignment with Newmont's strategy. The purpose for the OT&BI function is to drive significant business value through disciplined progression of business innovations and improvements across Newmont's global portfolio.
The Data & Analytics (D&A) Team is part of Newmont's OT&BI function and is responsible for helping empower operations by unlocking the value within their data to drive industry leading operational performance.
The Senior Director, Data & Analytics advises the Engagement, Architecture, and Intelligence groups within the OT&BI Data & Analytics team and is responsible for driving the team's strategy, direction, and delivery. The Data & Analytics team will collaborate with Newmont's Operations Support Network and enable them to 'Monitor, Coach, and Intervene' to unlock value across Newmont's operations through the application of data & analytics solutions and technologies. In addition, the Data & Analytics team will collaborate with Newmont's support functions to identify and unlock value across the entirety of Newmont's business.
This is a leadership role that draws on expertise as a strategic-thinker, people-manager, project-manager, communicator, technical subject-matter-expert, and data driven problem solver. Key outcomes for Newmont's Data & Analytics team that this role will drive include:
- Building a reputation as a reliable and trusted analytics provider within corporate functions but also at our operations.
- Empowering business users through self-service tools, adoption, and training.
- Recognizing and replicating solutions that can be scaled globally.
- Establishing a data culture through effective Communities of Practice (CoP), communications, and leadership advocacy.
- Creating and validating pipeline of use cases prioritized based on value.
- Providing a central, integrated, enriched single source of data and corresponding data platform which is accessible, trusted, and adopted.
- Accelerating the delivery of data solutions applying an effective buy-vs-build strategy and staff augmentation model as appropriate.
- Fostering cross business collaboration and eliminate silos through transparent governance procedures for intake, prioritization, and funding.
In this role you will
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
Strategy & Planning
- Refine and implement the D&A strategy, approach, engagement model, and service delivery model.
- Identify and prioritize D&A business projects and direction based on operations and business needs.
- Identify and define D&A investments. Work with business leaders to identify areas of technical needs for D&A support and capabilities.
- Champion the understanding, support for, and value of the D&A investment portfolio to Newmont's senior leadership team and across the business.
- Strengthen and champion Newmont's data and technology culture centrally and with operations.
- Advise the D&A Engagement Group responsible for collaborating closely and delivering support for Newmont's Operations Support Network and Support functions; ensure tight integration/collaboration with Newmont OSNs.
- Establish a collaborative relationship with Newmont's Operations Support Network to empower operations through the application of data & analytics.
- Establish a collaborative relationship with support function leadership to deliver value through the accelerated application of data & analytics.
- Champion business priorities and ensure direct alignment of D&A projects with business objectives, leverage of assets and practices, and effective synthesis with broader corporate-wide priorities.
- Be responsible for the creation of a pipeline of D&A use cases prioritized on value.
- Advise the D&A Data Architecture group responsible for implementing the business vision through the design and oversight of an enterprise-wide data platform.
- Provide strategic direction to the Data Architecture group and help establish business confidence in overall data management and quality.
- Advise the D&A Intelligence group responsible for defining and deploying complex analytic solutions to meet business objectives.
- Provide strategic direction to the D&A Intelligence group and help build their reputation as a reliable and trusted analytics provider.
- Develop and implement an effective and efficient third-party vendor management strategy including developers and staff augmentation.
- Establish, maintain and ensure achievement of Service Level Agreements and Contracts with third party providers.
- Govern vendor relationships to ensure successful delivery of business objectives.
- Implement a D&A talent management strategy and pipeline.
- Facilitate a high performing virtual work environment across multiple globally dispersed locations.
- Champion inclusion and diversity within the D&A team and our business.
Safety and Health
- Demonstrate proactive leadership in achieving a global Newmont culture of safety and health.
- Actively promote Newmont's safety standards and improvement initiatives.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills & experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, IT or related field or Engineering degree; advanced Degree in Data Science or engineering preferred.
- Solid understanding of contracting, negotiating, organization development, change management, technology trends, strategic planning, action planning, project management and personnel management.
- Expert understanding of data & analytics, data management, and software development cycle, techniques and tools and how they apply to the mining or other similar heavy industry.
- Solid understanding of Mining Operational data source environment or other similar heavy industry operational data environments.
- Knowledge in computer programming, query languages, and internet-based data visualization platforms.
- Significantly achieved data & analytics experience working within mining or other heavy industry. Operations experience preferred.
- Validated experience (10 years or more preferred) leading a high performing team and implementing value driven improvements.
- Validated experience working and efficiently maintaining relationships with third party vendors to deliver complex data & analytics business solutions.
- Validated experience with developing data strategy, policies, and procedures, as well as efficiently delivering tools, solutions, and programs that meet or exceed expectations in a dynamic environment.
Skills and Abilities:
- Authenticated strong interpersonal skills and ability to drive operational improvement and data & analytics excellence in a dynamic and global organization.
- Authenticated ability to collaborate with and brief senior leaders with limited or intermediate understanding of data intelligence and data science.
- Validated ability to engage and partner with operational stakeholders.
- Identified ability in workforce development through coaching, mentoring, challenging employees to grow within their roles.
- Identified ability to create data-driven business decisions.
- An ability to lead global teams and direct people/tasks both in-person and virtually.
- The ability to work flexibly to meet the frequent out of normal office hours requirements of leading a global team and project.
- Ability to guide and influence stakeholders across Newmont including within operations, support functions, and external partners.
- Ability to promote cultures of safety, diversity and inclusion.
Working conditions & location
Where you will be located!
- The position is located in the Denver corporate office, a regional office or aligned with Newmont's remote work policy.
- Position may be required to travel to, and assist other domestic and international sites.
The salary range offered for this role is $186,745 to 230,685. The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate's salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company's performance and their own individual performance. This role also will be eligible for participation in a discretionary long-term incentive program, pursuant to which an employee may receive awards based on their level and individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont's sole discretion.
Consistent with Newmont's values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont's workforce and the communities in which we work and live.With the wide availability of vaccines in the United States, if you are offered this position, you will have to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine prior to being hired. This requirement will be subject to an exemption process, as required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion. Nearest Major Market: