Manager Integrated Planning (Studies) - Technical & Strategic Mine Planning (Oyu Tolgoi)
- Work in and lead a diverse, talented and motivated multicultural team supporting development of one of the largest copper projects in the world
- Contribute to establishing a world-class operation in a new and prospective copper region
- Help guide the business by applying your expertise in stakeholder engagement, mine design, production planning optimisation and strategic studies options analysis
About the role
We are looking for a Manager Integrated Planning to lead a small team of SMEs responsible for defining the strategic direction for Oyu Tolgoi to realise maximum value from its extensive resource base. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a broad range of stakeholders globally in defining and maintaining the reserves and resources basis. You will also define the optimal strategic direction for operations and translate this into tactical guidance for planning purposes.
We are an open, connected global team that includes some of the industry's best and brightest minds. We offer competitive, performance-focused remuneration and a wide range of benefits to reward your contribution. With a global reach, the opportunities to develop and grow your career are broad and exciting.
Reporting to the General Manager - Technical and Strategic Mine Planning, you will:
- Coordinate the surface operations design and input assumptions basis for mine production planning including mine phase, WRF & SPs design, TSF strategic options, Cut-off grade definition
- Integrate OP and UG Planning Options evaluation to support strategic studies,
- Integrate production plans for annual business planning and regulatory reporting
- Maintain the reserves and resources basis, public reporting requirements and risk register for these
- Quarterly and Annual reconciliation of mine production against the various forecast models and actual measurement points
- Manage the definition and justification of surface ops OBK budgets (Resource, Geotechnical, Metallurgical) and schedules required to support the optimum mine development pathway
- Manage all HSEC related activities by anticipating current and future risks, and setting and monitoring objectives to ensure standards are met
What you will bring
- University graduate or post-graduate qualifications in Mining, Metallurgy or relevant Geosciences
- Extensive experience in mining operations, mineral project evaluation and management
- Extensive commodity experience in porphyry Cu/Au projects and reporting of reserves and resources for these
- Thorough understanding of and experience in mineral economics and the financial evaluation of project options
- Membership of professional geotechnical, geological and mining society such as Engineers Australia, AusIMM,
- Expert user of mining project design and production schedule optimization software
- Open interface between what is technically optimal and operationally viable through constant and open discussion with technical and operational subject matter experts and leaders
- It would also be beneficial if you have Chartered Professional recognition CP, RPEQ etc
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, you're thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A permanent position working directly for Rio Tinto
- A competitive base salary reflective of your skills and experience with annual incentive program
- Comprehensive medical benefits including subsidised private health insurance for employees and immediate family
- Attractive share ownership plan
- Company provided insurance cover
- Extensive salary sacrifice & salary packaging options
- Career development & education assistance to further your technical or leadership ambitions
- Ongoing access to family-friendly health and medical wellbeing support
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
- Exclusive employee discounts (banking, accommodation, cars, retail and more)
- Relocation assistance where necessary
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium - the world's first to be certified 'responsible' - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
The Rio Tinto Copper group is a global organisation with operations and projects in the U.S. (Kennecott Utah Copper, "RTKC", and Resolution Copper Project), Mongolia (Oyu Tolgoi), Simandou (Guinea) and Western Australia (Winu Cu-Au project). The portfolio also includes interests in a non-managed joint venture in Chile, in addition to exploration & evaluation interests and other minor investments.
This role is based in Brisbane. We offer a flexible working arrangement with a balance of office-based and work from home. You will have the opportunity to travel on a periodic basis to Mongolia to visit the Oyu Tolgoi site.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Applications close on Friday 14th October 2022 (Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove advertised roles prior to this date)
Please note, to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.