Senior Corporate Counsel, Commercial
- Manage the legal work for the Rio Tinto Commercial Product Group in the Pacific
- Work with a global legal team to address local and international issues
- Opportunity to develop core skills as part of a global team of experts
About the role
We are looking for a senior lawyer based in Perth or Brisbane, Australia, to lead the legal team supporting the Rio Tinto Commercial Product Group in the Pacific, as well as the wider stakeholder base within the Rio Tinto Group. This role is part of the Rio Tinto Commercial legal team and will support the integrated model providing legal support for Global Procurement activities in Rio Tinto. This role reports into the Chief Counsel, Commercial.
In this role, you will be:
- Leading and developing a team of lawyers in Australia providing legal support to the Rio Tinto Commercial Product Group based in the Pacific, as well as the wider group of stakeholders within the Rio Tinto Group;
- Providing timely, accurate, independent, strategic, and commercially pragmatic legal advice to Rio Tinto whilst managing legal and commercial risks;
- Analyzing legal risks including, antitrust, affiliated party transactions, confidentiality, legal compliance, business integrity, supply contracts and intellectual property aspects;
- Maintaining awareness of all material internal business developments which are likely to lead to a need for legal advice;
- Reviewing and developing template documentation as may be required
- Liaising with other members of Rio Tinto Legal and members of the Rio Tinto leadership to promote and apply best legal practice; and
- Monitoring the compliance framework that will enable Rio Tinto to meet its statutory and corporate requirements
- Managing RFP processes for engagement of external legal support and managing of external advice in a cost efficient manner across different jurisdictions
- Advising the business on relevant legislation and regulatory requirements including changes that may impact the business strategy and its implementation
- Advising the business on and management of formal and informal disputes
To succeed in this role, you will bring:
- Licensed lawyer, qualified to practice in Australia
- 15 years post qualification experience within a large corporation or law firm
- Strong commercial acumen; solution driven, dynamic and able to partner with the business seamlessly
- Solid understanding and practical experience in commercial contracts
- Strong and demonstrated leadership, team management and communication skills
- Prior international experience would be an advantage
What we offer
Be recognised for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs and pension plan
- Wellbeing benefits
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
Where you'll be working
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium - the world's first to be certified 'responsible' - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, the LGBTI+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
So, if you are looking for a new challenge, great location and an exceptional team, apply now.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
Applications close on Friday 21 October 2022.
Rio Tinto does not accept unsolicited CVs or candidate profiles from recruiters or employment agencies. Rio Tinto will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee relating to unsolicited CVs or candidate profiles. Rio Tinto reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited CVs or candidate profiles, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Rio Tinto.