- A company with a world-class reputation for safety and performance
- Be part of a dynamic supportive group in a fast-paced analytical environment
- Excellent opportunity to develop your career and further develop your technical expertise
- Based in Salt Lake City, Utah
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Chemist to assist in the day-to-day operations of the Rio Tinto Kennecott Environmental Laboratory.
Rio Tinto Kennecott Copper (RTKC) is a poly-metallic mining / minerals processing company, fully owned by Rio Tinto. RTKC is committed to producing its products in a capable and controlled manner, while demonstrating continuous improvement in areas that create value. Central Lab (CL) provides service and support to the RTKC value stream. Where operations are consistent and stable, CL provides analytical data to meet customer demand for quality (precision and accuracy) and quantity (required assays, delivered on-time). In cases of instability and/or desired business improvement, CL supports special projects. CL has two managed areas: 1) Process Lab, 2) Environmental Lab. The organization is composed of highly skilled and dedicated technical professionals.
The Environmental Laboratory is a specialized support facility for Kennecott to ensure compliance with various OSHA, MSHA, state and federal regulations governing air, water, soils, and waste. The laboratory is certified by the State of Utah and the EPA to perform compliance monitoring and is an ISO17025 accredited laboratory by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA).
Reporting to the Superintendent - Environmental Laboratory, you will:
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot highly complex instrumentation such as Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) and Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emissions Spectrometry (ICP-OES). Other instrumentation may include Ion Chromatography, LECO Carbon and sulfur analyzer.
- Conduct routine sample preparation, data acquisition and data analysis on a variety of sample matrices
- Prepare quality control samples such as round robin samples, analytical standards, and quality control samples.
- Participate in method development, method validation, and certification activities.
- Participate in the quality control and assurance programs of the Central Laboratory including proficiency testing, routine audits, trouble shooting, and continuous process improvements.
- Perform volumetric measurements utilizing laboratory balances, auto-titrators, pipettes, etc.
- Utilize analytical methods, standard operating procedures, and laboratory data systems to ensure data integrity, compliance, and good laboratory practices.
- Manage workflows for completing analyses to meet schedule requirements.
- Be skilled in use of computer operations including Word, Excel, and the ability to learn laboratory specific protocols including instrument software and LIMS programs.
- Possess neat, legible record keeping, a safe-work attitude and proficient writing skills
- Understand, interpret, and if required, modify existing methods to improve data accuracy and precision.
- Assist in commissioning new instrumentation
- Edit and write Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's), as needed
- Work closely with laboratory management to ensure that submitted samples are completed safely, quickly, and accurately.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
What you'll bring
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry preferred, but may consider other physical science degrees (biology, biochemistry, geology, physics, environmental science, etc.)
- Minimum 5 years related work experience
It will also be beneficial to possess:
- Working knowledge of computers and computer applications.
- Familiarity with ISO17025 and NELAC (National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Certification) requirements
- Good communication skills
- An unwavering commitment to safety
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Substantial knowledge of analytical chemistry
- An understanding of Quality Control Concepts and Tools and the ability to interpret them
- The ability to create and maintain 5's projects
- The ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
What we offer
We are committed to providing our employees with a generous benefits package. Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking, your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress, we provide:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- Advantageous salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Access to top-tier family-friendly health programs including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life insurance coverage, and various voluntary benefits.
- Excellent retirement plan including up to 6% defined company contribution; Generous 401k matching program
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program, which allows you to purchase Rio Tinto Company shares.
- Comprehensive leave policies which cover all moments that matter in life: PTO (paid time off), paid holidays, and paid bereavement leave.
- A favorable child-caregiver leave program (Up to 100% salary top-up)
- Discount programs for leisure purposes and access to Virgin Pulse with incentives supporting your wellbeing
- Ongoing Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your family; to help in addressing educational opportunities, addiction treatment, depression, stress, domestic issues, financial management, and legal concerns.
- Our team and industry experts are here to support and work with you to explore your learning potential and career goals
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminum - the world's first to be certified 'responsible' - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities, and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
The Process Lab provides specialized analytical services for the Kennecott Mine, Concentrator, Smelter, Refinery, and Commercial Sales group. The Process Lab provides more than 3000 analyses per day with most results reported within 24 hours of sample delivery receipt.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit http://www.uscis.gov/ for more information.