Senior Manager Analytics
- Perth, WA, Australia
- Closing date
- Feb 21, 2023
- Academic, Research, Training & Government
- Work Term
- Work Load
- Full Time
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people's lives now and for generations to come. We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead, zinc and Copper at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America. With a focus on growing our base metals exposure, we also have two development options in North America and several partnerships with junior explorers around the world.
Reporting to the VP Innovation & Business Optimisation, this role is accountable for designing and delivering South32's approach to analytics and data sciences (including machine learning and artificial intelligence). This includes partnering with digital technology, operations and functions to set the strategy for analytics and transform data into actionable and/or automated insight that improves decision-making and performance.
Primary responsibilities are:
- Safety Leadership: Be a visible, felt, leader in safety and wellness, ensuring our guarantee that all our team members at South32 go home safe and well every day.
- Strategic Leadership: Provide strategic direction and leadership as a member of South32's Innovation and Business Optimisation executive team. Work with the broader business to ensure we have a clear and value-focussed approach to analytics that is embedded within our broader business planning processes.
- Team Leadership: Lead the Analytics team, ensuring clear strategic direction, empowering and coaching team members to progress and achieve. This includes building a high performing, diverse and inclusive team committed to delivering business value in collaboration with business stakeholders.
- Collaboration: Build trusting relationships with key stakeholders across the business and engage continuously across operations and functions to ensure an aligned vision and strategy for Analytics across South32.
- Empowerment: Work proactively to continuously address any challenges or roadblocks and empower your team to deliver and achieve.
- Industry Scanning: Actively stay across emerging approaches to digital solutions to enable best practice within South32.
- Program Management: Design and manage programs / projects / pipelines of work to improve analytics capability and deliver analytics solutions across South32.
- Managing Talent: Build an open talent source approach (build, buy, broker) to leverage the best expertise and manage demand peaks.
Qualifications, Experience and Technical Skills
- Our team will be optimising for four primary attributes:
- Leadership: You should be a wonderful, humble, passionate, people leader.
- Translation and Problem Solving: You should be able to easily translate between our business and technical analytics teams. Ideally, you will have a good understanding of the resources industry.
- Collaboration: You will need to be an effective collaborator, bringing together diverse teams (digital, operations, functions) to solve problems.
- Technical: We have a good technical team working for you, so we will optimise for the other attributes mentioned above, but ideally you will have some technical knowledge of digital, data science, machine learning and artificial intelligence application within mining
- Relevant tertiary qualification such as a bachelor's or master's degree in Business, Engineering, Maths or similar.
- Strong people leadership capability including coaching, development and performance management of teams.
- Deep experience and knowledge of organisational change management principles, methodologies and tools.
- Strong business acumen and understanding of organisational issues and challenges.
- Proven experience leading and inspiring a high-performing business intelligence or data science team.
- Familiarity with the trends and opportunities in business intelligence, analytics, machine learning or artificial intelligence.
- Experience in the development of analytics and visualisation, governance and implementation roadmaps.
- Demonstrated competency in development of effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems.
Please note: This advertisement will close on the 21st February 2023
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
Our commodities can be found in nearly every aspect of our lives. They power our homes, start our cars, build our roads, bridges, skyscrapers and hospitals and even make our coins and jewelry.
We invest in exploration activities inside and outside of our portfolio, helping us to keep growing and diversifying. Our exploration activities are carefully selected to have a high chance of success and are spread around the world, including places we have not operated in before.
We attract people with exceptional skills, who share our values and want to make a difference with the work they do. As part of our team, you will be brave enough to challenge yourself to be the best in what you do. We will help you stretch your capabilities, challenging you to constantly seek better ways to do things and taking advantage of every opportunity to let your career flourish.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert