PTFI's Grasberg operations consist of a number of world-class mines that are targeted to produce 240,000 tons of copper ore per day. These include the GBC panel cave mine, the DMLZ panel cave mine and the Big Gossan open stope mine. The Kucing Liar panel cave mine is PTFI's future source of copper. The mine will be developed over the next 10 years. The approximate site CAPEX is in excess of $6b and when at full capacity Grasberg operations will be one of the largest underground operations in the world.
The Underground Geotechnical Group has a major role in the success of PTFI; ensuring that the underground operations are geotechnically reliable; the global and local support systems provide a safe working environment; and the caves are monitored and managed to provide the expected revenue stream. The work carried out by the group includes rock mass characterization, support design, ground control, hydrology, QA/QC of support systems, monitoring of ground and cave behavior and evaluation/prediction of cave performance. Additional responsibilities:
- The Technical Expert Geotechnical Analysis Support Systems role exists to ensure critical aspects of geotechnical design are undertaken. The intent of the role is provide:
- Core underground geotechnical design skills
- Ground support design and ground control skills
- Understanding of numerical modelling
- Strong analytical skills in data analysis and visualization
- Provide expert advice to ensure that best practice geotechnical design is applied to the underground mines.
- Provide expert advice to ensure that appropriate analyses are undertaken. Analysis will range from reviewing numerical modelling of mining sequences to the development of analytical tools to assist in assessing cave performance.
- Develop and coach national staff to build capacity, ensure knowledge transfer and that analyses follow international best practices.
- Provide professional advice/recommendations to PTFI leadership and supervisory staff.
- Understand and be aware of safety and environmental practices in the various work areas to ensure safe work.
- Assist in the development of the Underground Geotechnical group that provides key technical advice and support to Grasberg Underground Operations.
- Technical work for the DMLZ, GBC, and KL caving operations and for the Big Gossan operation all within PTFI's Grasberg business unit.
- Assist in the development of partnering arrangements with key specialist providers, such as numerical modelling consultants.
- Assist in mentoring program for national geotechnical engineers.
- Reporting to Senior Manager Underground Geotechnical Engineering Group.
- Collaborative and influencing functional peer relationships with geotechnical design teams within PTFI's underground projects and operations.
- Collaboration with Grasberg Underground Operations.
- Close alignment with Underground Engineering, Geology, Asset Management, and Underground contractors to achieve common goals.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mining Engineering, Civil Engineering of Geological Engineering or acceptable Tertiary qualifications with at least five (5) years working experience in the application of geotechnical engineering to underground mining.
- Demonstrated expertise in advance geotechnical analysis applied to underground mining.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others and communicate complex issues.
- Highly focused on geotechnical analysis and design as applied to underground mining and assessing geotechnical aspects of underground mine production. This requires in depth knowledge of rock engineering and knowledge of advanced modelling and analytical techniques.
- Ability to perform in-depth analysis of complex geotechnical issues and convey the results to senior management.
- Ability to develop preventive actions as opposed to corrective actions.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Strong analytical thinking skills.
- Ability to work in a culturally diversified workforce.
- Strong computer skills.
- Fluent in English (oral and written) and willing to learn Bahasa.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- High level communication and presentation skills.
- Copper Overseas Service Company ("COSCO") promotes a drug/ alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable Company Standards
COSCO has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs include tasks or duties that could affect the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Positions within COSCO which are held by employees who receive Safety Training; or
- Positions within COSCO which are held by employees who operate equipment or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing their COSCO job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose "motor vehicles" includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel)
Benefits : Begin first day of employment
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Relocation assistance/Ex-Pat incentives
COSCO is an equal opportunity employer Job Segment:
Geotechnical Engineering, Technical Support, Geology, Civil Engineer, Engineer, Engineering, Technology