Job Title: Chemical/Science Engineering Co - Op Student - Fall 2023Want to work with leading technology?Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine critical minerals that power electric vehicles, create renewable energy solutions and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.Our Team:
Our Technology and Innovation team is based in Sheridan Park, Mississauga, and is executing projects aimed at improved process chemistry, productivity, and safety at Vale Base Metals global operations as well as for the future growth projects for the company.The Opportunity
We are currently seeking TWO Chemical ENGINEERING / ENGINEERING SCIENCE CO-OP STUDENT
to join our Vale Technology and Innovation group
in Mississauga-ON. This is a fixed term 16-month position.
As a Chemical Engineering Co-op Student, you will have the opportunity for your further development by working closely within the Hydrometallurgy group on a range of chemical processes for nickel and cobalt related to their growing use in lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles. From working in our labs and mini plant facilities, as an integral part of larger projects, to leadership development, diversity & inclusion and culture, you will have a holistic and enriching experience like no other. You will also gain a deeper understanding of our company and our sustainable approach to mining via exposure to other Vale operations in Canada and abroad. In this position, you will:
- Conduct literature search and document reviews on research papers and patents relative to undertaken projects
- Assist in the design, implementation and safe execution of chemical laboratory and mini plant test work programs
- Perform test work results analysis from a variety of inputs, along with mass and energy balance, prepare reports and presentations
- Provide technical support for preparation of engineering design deliverables such as process design criteria and process design basis
- Participate in HAZOP's and other safety reviews.
- Plan and implement work in a manner that promotes safe working environment in collaboration with other members of the team.
- Assist with various inspections within the labs and mini plant facilities and effectively communicate areas requiring focus.
How can Vale grow your career?
- Currently enrolled as a Chemical or Metallurgical Engineering student in a Co-op Program.
- Solid verbal, written and analytical communication skills.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Proven time management and organization skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and a proven safety record are essential.
Difference Makes All the Difference
- Competitive salary
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader
- Online training and career development opportunities
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.Apply by: May 31st, 2023