Engineer in Training - Rock Mechanics
Vancouver, BC, Canada
SRK Consulting is an independent, international consulting practice, providing globally integrated consulting services to the international mining and metals sector.
We are seeking a Engineer in Training. Description of Responsibilities:
SRK Consulting is an independent, employee owned, international consulting practice, providing globally integrated consulting services to the earth and water resource industries offering services from exploration to closure. Globally, SRK employs more than 1,700 professionals in over 40 offices acting as a network of resources and individuals with which to collaborate with on new opportunities to support your professional growth. The geology and geotechnical team are seeking an Engineer in Training to be based in our Vancouver, BC, Canada office.
A successful candidate would consult on projects for North American and international clients, requiring a blend of field and office work. Assignments will include geotechnical characterization and applying rock mechanics principles to both surface and underground mine design issues. This work will involve full project scopes from conceptual studies, detailed design, and construction stages through to mine closure stage, liaising with other technical specialists. The table below summarizes some of the tasks that can be anticipated while in the field and the office. Field work [30 to 50%]
On site at exploration, operational or closed mines
Office work [50 to 70%]
- Detailed geotechnical rock core logging and mapping
- Supervising drilling and earthworks subcontractors during investigations
- Communication of progress to project team
- On-site decision making in communication with team members to progress the project
- Working outdoors and/or in remote locations with variable weather conditions
In the Vancouver office
Essential Requirements:Please reach out to us if you have:
- Using Excel, Word, AutoCAD and other softwares to compile and review data
- Analysing these data, including rock mass characterization, stability assessments
- Preparing documents to report results or assisting in writing proposals
- Preparing for field work including, preparing logging kits, site specific logging manuals, health and safety plans and planning drillholes
- A degree in geological, mining or geotechnical engineering or technician/technologist in Mining or similar.
- Eligibility to register with a professional organization (EGBC or similar) once obtaining necessary experience
- Strong work ethic including an ownership attitude and detail-oriented focus.
- Experience with applying a positive attitude to working both independently and in a team under the leadership of a Senior/Principal Consultant.
- Some practical experience in geotechnical logging, mapping and rock mass characterization will be a benefit.
- Some understanding of basic operating skills in 2D/3D geological/geotechnical numerical modelling packages will be advantageous.
- A valid driver`s license
- The ability to be based in Vancouver and travel to local and global project sites.
This position involves working in multi-disciplinary teams on a range of projects and may include international travel.In return for considering a future with us, we offer:
Applicants should respond by submitting their CV online by clicking the button below. The candidates under consideration will be contacted directly, no phone calls please.
- An attractive compensation package.
- Diversity of projects and clients within a non-hierarchical consultancy environment.
- Opportunity to purchase shares in the company; the SRK Group is an independent group, owned by its employees.