Requisition ID: 88242 Job Category:
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining , energy , and infrastructure , our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
Our energy expertise in the oil and gas sector comprises the entire value chain - upstream, midstream, and downstream; and in the power sector includes thermal, nuclear, waterpower, renewable, hybrid, transmission and distribution, and grid modernization. Join our vision of a low-carbon world and help make positive change! Job Description
The position will be based in Canada
. This is a technical position within the Power Business Unit of Hatch. It provides an opportunity for professional growth to the selected individual within the Power Delivery & Integration (PD&I) department by performing transmission studies, systems analysis investigations, and planning/feasibility/impact studies for clients in North America, primarily, but also globally. The incumbent will also work closely with other Power departments, including the HVDC/FACTS, T&D and the Renewables teams on related studies and with Hatch's Management Consulting Practice for development of power sector master plans.
The incumbent of this position is required to work within focused study teams and multi-disciplinary teams involved in integrated power system plans, transmission and distribution system plans, pre-feasibility/feasibility/system impact assessment, and system performance studies for both AC and DC project developments and generation/load connections. He/she will coordinate all planning activities and those of their teams to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion. The person will perform the duties in accordance with all applicable codes and standards, including all of Hatch's policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental and Quality Assurance. The incumbent should be familiar with the policies, guidelines, regulations, rules, requirements, and criteria as applicable to grid performance, transmission planning, and interconnection, especially to bulk power systems. Knowledge and experience of relevant requirements throughout North America and other jurisdictions will be an added advantage. Role and responsibilities for this position include:
Qualifications for the positions include:
- Perform or coordinate power systems analysis activities including load flow, short-circuit, transient stability, electromagnetic transient, and/or small-signal stability analysis.
- Preparation of functional specifications for facility requirements related to different system development portfolios, for purposes of developing preliminary designs and obtaining estimates for the associated facilities.
- Review of planning/system performance studies for compliance with prevailing standards and criteria and good engineering practice.
- Preparing comprehensive reports on the conduct of the studies, the study results and appropriate conclusions and recommendations.
- Project management
- Undertake thought leadership activities (e.g., speaker at conference, panelist, whitepaper, etc.) and promote Hatch's know-how in the Power and T&D sector in the region.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering; post-graduate (MS or PhD) degrees in Power Systems are desirable.
- Proficient in electromagnetic transients (EMT) analysis with a particular focus on the detailed modeling of inverter-based resources, and carrying out AC and DC studies, using software packages such as PSCAD, EMTP-RV, etc.
- Proficient in power flow, short-circuit, and transient stability simulation analysis, using software packages such as PSS®E, PSLF, PowerWorld, DSATools, ASPEN, etc., including modules for load flow, short-circuit, and transient stability analysis.
- Knowledge of control theory, dynamic modeling, and numerical methods is desirable.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python, C, C++, FORTRAN, MATLAB, Julia, etc. is desirable.
- Knowledge of additional power systems analysis software applications is desirable.
- Registration with IEEE, CIGRE, and/or other applicable engineering associations is desirable.
- 5 years of experience in power system analysis and transmission planning.
- High level of interpersonal communication skills.
Reporting to the Global Manager - Power System Studies. Occasional travel to site locations or for customer meetings domestic or international is required.
Why join us?
- Work with great people to make a difference
- Collaborate on exciting projects to develop innovative solutions
- Top employer
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.Job Segment:
Power Systems, Systems Analyst, Nuclear Engineering, Facilities, Controls Engineer, Energy, Technology, Engineering, Operations
Apply now "