Engineer, Control System
- Opportunity to develop your career and work for a global company
- Contribute to the success of Rio Tinto by applying your technical and professional leadership expertise
- Join a company with a world class reputation for safety and a culture that supports inclusion and diversity Boron, CA
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Control System Engineer to maintain and improve process control functions across the Boron site. The incumbent will support, develop, coordinate, and/or lead activities that will maximize operational performance and reliability, while working very closely with Operations and Maintenance teams.
This role is a great opportunity to join a technical team and contribute to the success of Rio Tinto.
We are an open, connected international team of technical specialists using some of the most exciting data and tools on the planet. We are the world leader in automation and smart mining.
We have technical development programmes that are industry-leading and recognise the unique nature of your role. These provide opportunities to grow your career through a dedicated technical path while being rewarded for your unique skills
Reporting to the Operations Manager and working with a diverse team, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring compliance with health, safety, environmental and quality programs and standards for Rio Tinto and outside regulatory agencies
- Leading by example and coach safety to others
- Establishing a constructive culture in the team by demonstrating and utilizing appropriate leadership behavior, symbols and systems
- Providing guidance on control systems hardware and software design, reliability, and performance
- Working with Process control professionals and contractors to implement process control improvements/upgrades
- Providing technical guidance and troubleshooting assistance to plant personnel as needed
- Be available to assist or lead E/I Technicians in analyzing, troubleshooting, and repair of failed controls and instrumentation
- Providing support to the operations team (loop tuning , code troubleshooting, alarm management)
- Configuration changes, graphics development and modification; and implementing software changes of design
- Participating in project development, approval, implementation, and management, as needed
- Be available after hours to provide technical assistance, including startups and as needed
What you'll bring:
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Equivalent Experience
- A minimum of three (3) years' Electrical, Instrumentation and Control Systems experience is preferred.
- Experience in programming/developing/configuring PLC, HMI, Drives and SCADA systems
- Working knowledge of Allen Bradley Control Logix systems, FactoryTalk View as well as typical industrial control system equipment
- Experience with Wonderware and/or Modicon, Modbus + is a plus
- Experience with Thin Manager, Virtual Machines (VMs), Servers, Network Radios and Switches is a plus
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills for complex problems that are encountered
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, build and lead teams, influence people, make critical decisions, and communicate effectively with a variety of personnel and contractors
- Background in Project Management and Lean/Six Sigma skills a plus
What we Offer
Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A competitive salary with opportunity for growth and career progression
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Generous 401k matching program
- Attractive company share ownership plan (up to 50% company match)
- Leave for all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, 18 weeks paid parental leave for primary care giver short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Possibility to work a 9/80 schedule
Where you will be working
Rio Tinto Borates is a global leader in industrial mineral supply and science. We supply approximately 25% of the world's demand for refined borates, minerals essential to life and modern living. We seek to create mutual value by working closely with our investment partners and host communities. Our 20 Mule Team Borax brand pays tribute to our first borates mining operation in Death Valley in 1872.
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls 'progress' begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium the world's first to be certified "responsible" helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit http://www.uscis.gov/ for more information.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.